Videocoverage from the Crane excursion in 2018
This Birding Crane Excursion goes to a place near Diepholz in Germany. Every autumn the cranes gather here in Germany during the Crane migration to fat up for their trip to the more southern wintering grounds. During this period, the number may reach several thousands to over ten thousand cranes. During te day the birds are foraging (feeding) on the different maize fields in the area and in the evening they fly in great numbers to their sleeping places in the peat bogs around Diepholz.
During this one-day birding tour we will first search for the Cranes and observe them in their quest for food. Often there are several of parents with their young in groups to admire. Of course we will also have eye for the other birds in the area during the tour, for example Harriers and Grey Shrikes. At the end of the afternoon we will go to the place where the cranes gather in large groups at the Diepholzer Moor. They fly in for the night in groups of hundreds to thousands at a time. Unforgettable is the call of such a large amount of Cranes! If conditions permit, there is the possibility to make a short walk through the bog.
This Crane Tour is also suitable for participants who are not able to walk long distances.
Of course there is also the opportunity to photograph these magnificent birds during the tour with your own camera.
There are only 6 places available for this Crane Tour!
Food and drink
- This trip includes lunch. This lunch will be served during the birding excursion ‘in the field’;
- There is coffee and tea with a snack;
- There is plenty of drinking water;
- Fruit for everyone.
Practical information on the Crane Tour
- We are not liable for injury. We are not liable for damage to or theft of any materials, clothing, footwear, photographic equipment and optics.
- You need to take care of any travel and / or cancellation insurance with adequate coverage by yourself.
- We leave at 10:00 am. and will not wait for latecomers, there is no right to refund for coming too late or not show up.
- Provide adequate warm and waterproof clothing and footwear. It can be cold and damp in the area.
- If you have a diet, you can pass it to the payment in the box for additional information or by our contact form.
- Dogs and other pets are not allowed on the tour.